“the most beautiful car ever made.”
- The Jaguar E-type Series 1 Roadster was produced by Jaguar between 1961 and 1968.
- It was at the time, and still is today, the iconic British two-seater convertible sports car.
- The Series 1 Roadster was initially powered by the legendary 3.8L straight-six XK engine, producing around 265bhp and some groundbreaking performance figures: 0-60mph in just 6.4s, and a top speed of 150mph (this was 1961 remember…!!).
- It also featured a ‘Moss’ 4-speed manual gearbox, power assisted 4-wheel disc brakes, and Jaguar’s innovative independent coil sprung rear suspension system.
- The interior was the height of luxury for its time. Aluminium surfaces, leather bucket seats, leather dash, and a beautifully crafted wooden steering wheel.
- There are very few other cars in the history of motoring that can claim such an iconic status. It represents a perfect harmony between design, mechanical innovation and performance, and will forever live on as one of Britain’s finest global contributions.
- Chassis 878588 was first registered and delivered to Italy in 1962.
- The car remained in Italy for the next 57 years, however in true Italian style, not much of its early life was documented or recorded.
- We do know however, from FIVA papers contained in the history file, that the car was registered with the Automotoclub Storico Italiano while under its previous ownership.
- The car is a full “matching numbers” example and remains largely original throughout, which is precisely why its current keeper chose to purchase it from Italy and bring it over to the UK.
- Imported in 2019, the main objective was to perform a full and exhaustive mechanical restoration, and to that end, within the first 4 months of landing on UK soil, over £16,000 worth of work was commissioned with Classic Motor Cars Ltd.
- They went through all of the mechanicals and made sure that it was fitted with period correct parts and was an “on the button” car ready to go on any occasion.
- Since then, the car has been looked after predominantly by Winspeed of Guildford Jaguar Specialist, and also by our neighbours Classic Performance Engineering, with another £24,000 of invoices present.
- Prior to the car being offered for sale through us, it was treated to a paint correction, engine bay detail, underside clean and fabric roof clean with Gtechniq Hood Sealant applied.
- The car offered today really is a fantastic example, and presents incredibly well indeed.
- Please do not hesitate to get in contact if you would like to book in for a viewing or come for a test drive!
Want total peace of mind? We’ve partnered with WarrantyWise – the UK’s leading used car warranty specialist – to provide complete cover for this 1962 Jaguar E-Type S1 Roadster*:
|PRICE (INC. VAT)
*Single Claim Limit £5,000 | Unlimited Claims | Max Labour Rate £100ph | T&Cs