Peugeot 504 Safari
2300 S Coupe by Ghia
- The Fiat 2300 was first presented to the public at the Turin motor show in 1960 by Ghia. It was presented as a prototype sports car.
- The Fiat 2300S Coupe by Ghia was a very different car indeed as the engine of this particular model was developed by Abarth.
- The Abarth tuned engine was fitted with a new camshaft, enlarged valves, better conrods and twin Weber carburettors to increase power output and overall performance.
- With apparent inspiration for styling stemming from the Ferrari 250 GTE, the Fiat 2300S by Ghia as a complete package represented a high level of power output and even higher level of technology for the 60’s.
- Built in 1965 and first registered within the UK (The channel islands so the current owner has been told), our 2300 S is a very rare RHD. It is believed that only 72 RHD were ever imported to the UK, of which 7 are still believed to exist.
- In the cars early life, it changed hands a few times, being raced and rallied in the 80’s (FIA papers to support), before eventually being left for some time on mainland England. The current owner bought the car in 2008 as a complete project with a view to bring the car back to its former glory.
- From 2008 Draycott Motorsport have looked after the car every step of the way and know the car incredibly well.
- Draycott had the brief to bring this car back to life as a rally car. Through trials and tribulation, the current keeper chopped and changed various aspects of the car. It was resprayed in Red and all rust was treated. The gearbox was changed out for a much more substantial replacement from a Fiat 131,a remote oil filter fitted (which avoids the dirt in the engine going around the engine when cold), sports pistons fitted, race compression set up, ported, adjustable shocks/coil-overs fitted, roll cage fitted and new seats commissioned.
- The car is still a very well-known rally car within the rally community and has competed at the following:
- The Poppy Rally
- Rally of the Tests (8/9 times)
- The Classic Marathon (2 times)
- London to Lisbon ( 2 times and a Class winner)
- Hero Challenge (Multiple times)
- Winter Challenge (2-3 times)
- Three Castles (2 times)
- To appreciate how well prepared this car really is, it has to be seen and driven and we would urge anyone with interest into this car to contact us to arrange.
- Due to the nature of how the history has been stored we are unable to publish it on the website, however for anyone who would like to view this we are able to send it online so please do email us if this is of interest.