- A full historic rally build courtesy of Owen Turner – Complete Rally Services, completed in 2023.
- With a build cost totally >£145,000, this is not a restoration – this is a completely re-engineered historic rally car designed to endure the toughest long-distance events in the world.
- An absolute no-brainer for any serious historic rally enthusiasts with their sights on the Peking to Paris, this is essentially a brand new vehicle with only a light shakedown and run-in miles under its belt.
- This DeSoto was designed and engineered to give quiet, comfortable running over long periods of prolonged rugged terrain.
- A robust and strong construction was paramount, as was simple and user friendly maintenance.
- The original donor car was completely stripped, dismantled and sent for blasting back to bare metal.
- All parts and components were catalogued and either retained or replaced as necessary.
- The suspension was completely overhauled front and back, with strengthening introduced where needed.
- The original engine was upgraded with a larger 3.6L unit from a 1954 Dodge, which was then bored out even further to receive new oversized pistons, and reassembled to the following specification:
- Mild camshaft to give maximum torque and driveability
- All new gaskets, pumps, valves etc
- Machined flywheel and uprated clutch to suit Tremec gearbox
- Reconditioned points distributor
- Upgraded modern alternator including bespoke bracket
- Bespoke transmission bell-housing and adaptor plate, including speed sensor, reverse switch and slave cylinder.
- Once the engine was fully reassembled, it was tuned and run of a dyno.
- A bespoke axle was commissioned to endurance specification (no LSD, drum brakes, cables etc)
- Bespoke fabricated supplementary fuel tank installed in the boot.
- Safety roll cage bolted in to chassis.
- Upgraded large core radiator.
- New brake lines, fuel lines, fuel pump.
- Custom wiring loom to include navigation accessories, additional lighting, relays fuel pumps, USB points etc
- Battery cut off switch
- Comfortable and supportive leather trimmed seats with TRS harnesses.
- Custom mild steel exhaust
- Re-trimmed carpet, headlining and door trims
- The car is also accompanied by an extensive long-distance Spares Package:
- Electronic distributor – set up on dyno and marked
- Clutch plate, bearing and slave cylinder
- Water pump
- Gasket set
- Alternator Belt
- Core plugs
WHAT WE THINK
If you include the cost of the donor car, this vehicle owes in the region of £200,000. It has been engineered and prepared to the highest quality, and is now available for purchase in ‘as new’ condition for a fraction of that cost – opportunities like this don’t come around every day!
As always, we urge any interested buyers to give us a call and book in an appointment here in Bicester Heritage.